Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Nymphs and Satyr

Title: Nymphs and Satyr.

Year: 1873.

Media: oil on canvas.

This painting by Bouguereau comes from French Academic period.


The importance of human figure is very important within this period. That is why no wonder you see the nymphs are very proportional.


I would say that the composition of the colors has a naturalistic form. The mixture of green and brown just so natural, and also I would like to infer that the painter made this painting in a plein air.


For your information, I use this painting as my destkop background.


Satyr is a Greek mythological creature which has half human and half goat figure. Satyr represents sexual drive.

As for nymphs, they are female spirits associated with particular landform which also considered as a retiune of god such as Hermes, or Dionsyus.

From this painting, we can see that the one of the nymphs are inviting their friend into a "wild" party with satyr and you already know what happens next. Don't you?


Well, I just glad that this painting always brings me into an aesthetic experience.

1 comment:

  1. suka ke museum har? udah pernah ke DC belum?

    ReplyDelete