Friday, May 15, 2009

Engaging Ethics

Yesterday, I attended a workshop called Engaging Ethics. I and my friend Steven have to attend this workshop in order to get 17 micro points accounting 1c Scott’s class. Who knows this workshop would turn to be my favorite workshop.

What is Ethics?
Well, I’ve tried to define it by myself.
In my own words: “Moral behavior in a set of a culture which a person can judge whether it is right or wrong.”
However, just out of my curiosity I searched it on the internet
And this is what I’ve got “branch of philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct, with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions.” (http://www.dictionary.com/)
Apparently, I got the big picture. Cheers dude!

So, what did we do in the class?
At first, the teacher (sorry, I forgot her name, but she is a Germany and I had her workshop in the last quarter.) asked us who have ever cheated on an exam. Spontaneously I raised my hand high. In fact, there are only 3 out of 18 (approximately) who raised his/her hand. I was shocked because I felt like a person who proud of his bad action. Oh well, my hand is the highest among three honest person because Steven who sat beside me raised his palm, not his arm. Damn you Steve! Uppsss, sorry minors

As the result, I was proud of my action because nobody instantly judge based on what I did, but who knows what inside their head. I wish I could be Matt Parkman from Heroes who can “push and pull” people’s mind.

In the next session, one has to tell his dilemma and it was me who volunteered. So, this is a true story. One day I was in a Church. I found $10 bill on the floor and I’m in a doubt whether the money should go to my pocket or I take it to the offerings. As the result, I put it on the offerings. Wow, Harianto you are a good man!
Instantly, a woman from my group asked me this thing: Would you do the same thing if you found it not in a Church? WOW! What a good question. Without any further thoughts I answered: NO, I would keep it for myself.

Let’s draw a conclusion here.
From my point of view, ethics is a personal set of moral behavior because it depends on the situation. For example: I would take the $10 bill if I found it at another place because there is no guarantee if other people who found it after me will give it to the right place. There is no name on the bill right? So, if I take it to a police, will the police do the right thing? Instead of left it or give it to a police, I’ll just consider the $10 bill as my fortune and give $5 to a homeless people to throw a bad luck. (what a great idea.)

So, I guess, my definition about ethics which stated before (on the top), and from http://www.dictionary.com/ are true. But, we have to remember that any action related to ethical behavior could be either right or wrong depends on the situation.

-What we have is a free will which we have to use it wisely-

Cupertino, 05/15/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment